Shiranui and Okami Amaterasu
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shiranui and Okami Amaterasu  (Read 2350 times)
Soup
Wolf Watcher

Failure is Success in the Making

« on: October 23, 2007, 09:32:14 PM »

Okay, at first this idea didn't confuse me, but now that my friend started talking about it, I started getting confused. So.. when you're on the Ark, the Celestial beings call you "Okami Ameratsu," which is what they've known you by since many years before when the Celestial Plains got attacked by Orochi. But then, after that event, that'd be when Amaterasu would be on Nippon for 100 years waiting for the chosen one, Nagi to be born and fight Orochi. But during that time, Amaterasu is known as Shiranui. Also, is Shiranui a male or female? I keep getting the impression Shiranui was a male. Anyways, I thought Amaterasu was supposed to be the sun god, and Shiranui was when all the gods where one (Didn't they mention that in the beginning of the game? I can't remember anymore.). Also, Issun's dad calls you Ammy, but when he was with you 100 year ago, you were Shiranui. So now I'm completely confused on something I used to (not really) understand. What do you guys think about it all?
Thief
Ko-Admin
Hero of Nippon

I like good grammar

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 01:22:06 AM »

Okami is the title of of the Guardian God-just like Queen.
Amaterasu is the name of the god, and our beloved white wolf.  Amaterasu has always been Amaterasu.  Shiranui is the name that was given to her by the villagers.  People say Shiranui rather than Ammy 100 years past because it's easier.  Also, even though Amaterasu, the Shinto goddess is female (and perhaps Okami Amaterasu is female), the creators of the game have declared that the wolf is neutral.  There are hints throughout the game that the Okami is female (mother to us all, the ghost at the Gale Shrine sensing a young female).
Also, the Brush gods have always existed, but their powers lay in Shiranui before, just like at the end of the game.
Soup
Wolf Watcher

Failure is Success in the Making

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007, 03:55:33 AM »

Okay, that makes so much more sense now. That's for clarifing that, now my brain doesn't have to swell up. |3
Tossu-sama
Hero of Nippon

I'm not alright, I'm half left.

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 02:57:30 PM »

And then again, the name "ôkami" is a pun. Cheesy It depends on how it's written with kanji. It means wolf yes, but it also can mean "great god" since "ô-" stands for great or big (this goes for the Oozarus in DBZ Cheesy). When you look at the kanji that is used to write Ôkami in the game, you notice that the last kanji is "kami" and it's used in the Japanese names of the brush gods. ^^

In the separate note, it's easy to write the names of the brush gods. Simply take the kanji that appears on the screen when you use their techniques and add the kami kanji and you have their name. Cheesy

I don't did everyone here know this, but I think it's kinda nice little information. ^^

"If you want to test wisdom, offer it to fools and watch how they tear it up."

Michela
Amaterasu's Witness

Email
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007, 05:04:23 PM »

Okami is the title of of the Guardian God-just like Queen.
Amaterasu is the name of the god, and our beloved white wolf.  Amaterasu has always been Amaterasu.  Shiranui is the name that was given to her by the villagers.  People say Shiranui rather than Ammy 100 years past because it's easier.  Also, even though Amaterasu, the Shinto goddess is female (and perhaps Okami Amaterasu is female), the creators of the game have declared that the wolf is neutral.  There are hints throughout the game that the Okami is female (mother to us all, the ghost at the Gale Shrine sensing a young female).
Also, the Brush gods have always existed, but their powers lay in Shiranui before, just like at the end of the game.

Yea that cleared some things for me to thanks.
kris13
Wolf Watcher

The CookieBoy

kooahboy_kris13@hotmail.com kriisitokool rkris13@yahoo.com
Email
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 06:41:51 PM »

In the separate note, it's easy to write the names of the brush gods. Simply take the kanji that appears on the screen when you use their techniques and add the kami kanji and you have their name. Cheesy

Wait,you mean those lines we make are actual letters?

Tossu-sama
Hero of Nippon

I'm not alright, I'm half left.

WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007, 06:43:27 PM »

No no, I mean those kanji marks that appear. Like when you use Power Slash, that kanji "tachi" appears on the screen. ^^

"If you want to test wisdom, offer it to fools and watch how they tear it up."

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: